Department of Education Learners First
Department of Education - Learners First
Slider Image One
Slider Image Two
Slider Image Three
Slider Image Four
Slider Image Five

About Us

Our School and Community

Ogilvie is the only Grade 7-10 all girl’s high school in Tasmania. Ogilvie began in 1937 as a selective co-educational, commercial school and became a girl’s only comprehensive school in 1964. The School has a well-established tradition of academic, cultural and sporting excellence. The School enjoys a good working relationship with Old Scholars and the School Association, enabling a consultative and co-operative relationship within the Ogilvie community.

In 2019 the school has an enrolment of approximately 650 students, drawn from a large number of primary schools. Students come from diverse socio-economic, cultural and occupational backgrounds. ‘Springvale’ hostel for country students is located adjacent to New Town High School in Midwood Street, New Town, and a number of our students are boarders there, typically from the east coast. Almost one hundred staff deliver and support the teaching and learning program at Ogilvie.

History of the School

Ogilvie High School originally catered for both boys and girls and began as the New Town Commercial High School, officially opening on 21 July, 1937. The School was initially situated at Hobart High School, Letitia Street, but was moved to its present site on 5 August, 1937. Following the death of the Premier, A.G. Ogilvie in 1939, the School changed its name to the A. G. Ogilvie High School in 1940. The final year for boys was 1963 and Ogilvie became the first all-girls’ high school in Tasmania. 

In 2005, a redevelopment of several areas of the School was undertaken and financed by the Federal Government. These new facilities were opened on 6 October 2006 and included a new Dance/Drama performance area, the upgrading of general classroom areas, the redevelopment of the Gymnasium and the building of a fitness centre called Ozone.

The state government funded the building of ‘C’ Block which was completed in 2010. This building includes the Cafeteria (awarded Silver status for serving healthy food) and the Student Centre for student use, as well as new kitchens for teaching and learning. The Lower Student Centre is used by students as well as for teacher workshops, functions and dinners and has a capacity to cater for approximately 100 people. The Upper Student Centre is dedicated as a common space for Middle School students and is also used as a teaching and learning space. This redevelopment also included refurbishment of classrooms in S Block where our Big Picture program is based.

In recent years a number of classrooms have been refurbished to allow for the Middle School Home Groups for Years 7 and 8 to be located together, and for dedicated classrooms for the teaching of Maths and Humanities in the Senior School. We have also developed a master plan for the next 10 years which includes a proposal for a new building to house Administration, Languages, Music and Performing Arts. This will also allow for the refurbishment of the current Administration area as dedicated Health classrooms.

228 New Town Road
New Town TAS 7008

Phone: 03 6228 8800